1. A 31yr old farmer has passed away at Tikri Border. Jagdeep Singh from Rampur Fanna village had come to Tikri on 1st feb on his tractor. He passed away this morning. Heart attack is cited as reason of death.
2. Another farmer named Bant Singh of village Bhari Panecha has passed away today. He was part of protests since December 5, 2020. Heart attack is said to be reason of death.
3. Indian Metrology department issuing an alert for severe cold for 3rd and 4th feb, the cases of illnesses and deaths among sitting farmers are likely to increase. Some old men and unwell people have been sent home from Tikri.
4. So many observers commentating, if you consider the many layers of the barricades put up yesterday. If this had been Hong Kong or Russia, it would be main news in UK and USA. But these media outlets are silent? Trade deals before democracy.
5. Nodeep Kaur’s bail plea has been rejected. Judge said that more evidence will be presented by police. This is how Indian nation treats its women activists. If a female speaks out for Dalits in India, they face the most obstacles in a caste focused BJP regime. She is a young lady and has already faced physically assault by the police.
6. Journalist Mandeep Punia granted bail after paying 25000 rupees.
7. DSGMC team led by Mr Sirsa has visited Tihar Jail with warm clothes for the farmers held by police with and without charges. All Singhs are in Chardi Kala & are continuously chanting naam.
8. As many as 120 persons have been arrested in connection with the farmers’ agitation and have been kept at the Tihar jail, claims a list released by the Lawyers For Farmers, the formal standing counsel for the farmers.
9. The Delhi Police, meanwhile, said 44 FIRs had been registered and 122 persons arrested till now, whose details were available on their website.
10. As many as 300 advocates have formed a group to fight for the persons who have been arrested, illegally detained or have been missing during the farmers’ protest at Delhi.
11. Of the 120 arrested persons — 39 have been booked at the Nangloi police station, 34 at the Alipur Outer North police station, 15 at the Paschim Vihar West police station, nine at the Mukherjee Nagar police station, seven at the Najafgarh police station, six at the Uttam Bagar police station, five at the Mundka Outer District police station and three each at Seemapuri and Baba Haridas Nagar police stations. Veteran advocates HS Phoolka and Navkiran Singh are part of the legal team representing farmers.
12. A separate team of lawyers from the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee is also fighting the farmers’ cases. Both Lawyers for Farmers and DSGMC president Manjinder Singh Sirsa have appealed to missing persons’ relatives to approach them. The Lawyers for Farmers, which has set up a desk at Singhu, today filed a writ in the Punjab and Haryana High Court, questioning the suspension of internet in many Haryana districts.
13. “We have so far received calls from at least 300 families. However, the number of persons traced so far is 120. We are trying to ascertain how many are exactly missing. At least 120 persons have been lodged at the Tihar jail,” said advocate Hakam Singh, a member of the Farmers for Lawyer. “We are going to file a petition in the Delhi High Court on Tuesday regarding the life and liberty of peaceful protesters. We are also working to file petitions to demand a medical board for a thorough check-up of the arrested,” he said. — TNS
14. Delhi High court has rejected a petition that questioned the role of Delhi police in 26th Jan violence against farmers and also sponsored violence at Singhu border. The petition was rejected without listening to a single word. This is Judiciary in India.
15. The Premier of British Columbia, a major Canadian province, calls on the Indian government to respect the democratic right to peaceful protest. “Many British Columbians come from farming families in India & it’s been stressful for them to witness reaction to farmers’ peaceful protests. I understand their anguish & hope everyone is safe. I strongly believe in the democratic process & hope a peaceful solution is found soon.”
16. 200 pairs of shoes were displayed at BC Parliament in Victoria, to remember those farmers who died and the 200 in jails.
17. Ranvir Singh from ITV tweeted,” Indian government arresting journalists who expose BJP activists as behind the suppression of rightful #FarmersProstests .. this state violence is not just anti-Sikh, it is anti-workers. Covid cancelled Boris’s trip to India (I was due to go too) but this must be condemned 👇🏽”.
18. Claude Webb MP for Liecester East tweeted,”I have received trolling, death threats, rape threats, threats of sexual violence, misogyny, anti-black racism, outright lies, gaslighting, false allegations, malicious reporting, smear campaigns, everything really -I stand for human rights #IStandWithFarmers #FarmersProtest”.
19. Haryana Govt has extended the ban on internet, bulk SMS services and all dongle services etc except the voice calls in Kaithal, Panipat, Jind, Rohtak, Charkhi Dadri, Sonipat and Jhajjar till 5 pm on February 3.
20. People in Haryana’s Jind have blocked the national highway to protest against internet ban.
21. Thousands of farmers have gathered at Landhadi toll plaza in Haryana.
22. India sends fifth highest number of takedown requests to twitter of any country the report says (japan, russia, south korea & turkey are the top 4). India led the world in government-targeted internet shutdowns in 2020, targeted sites of protest+insurgency. (Time magazine)
23. India has reneged its UN mandated Responsibility to Protect its farmers who have suffered violence from police and mobs since India’s Republic Day on 26th Jan 2021. This Responsibility to Protect was undertaken by member states at a 2005 UN Global Summit. UNITED SIKHS wrote today to the UN following police brutality against these farmers whilst they were holding a tractor parade to mark India’s Republic Day on 26th Jan 2021 and it continued when mobs and police attacked farmers at their protest sites. UNITED SIKHS wrote to: Michele Bachelet, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights; Nazhat Shameem Khan, President UN Human Rights Council and Special Adviser on Responsibility to Protect, Karen Smith. (Issued by Mejindarpal Kaur, International Legal Director, UNITED SIKHS)
24. Capt Amrinder Singh tweeted, “Punjab Government has already arranged a team of 70 lawyers in Delhi to ensure quick legal recourse to farmers booked by the Delhi police. I will personally take up the issue of missing farmers with MHA & ensure these persons reach home safely.
25. Notably as Capt Amrinder helps farmers with legal support, an attack happens on Sukhbir Badals car. Many seasoned observers see this as a staged attack. The BJP center govt with Badals will now make out there is a law and order issue in Punjab. They will use this to collapse the Capt Amrinder govt and start direct rule from Delhi. Over the last 50 years, direct rule from Delhi has happened everytime Punjab stands up against Delhi rule. If direct rule start then there will be a severe crackdown on farmers families and food supply lines will stop. Badals want it as it may bring them back into power. As always Punjabis and sikhs suffer.
26. Bathinda sikhs protested in large numbers in favor of those who were victims of the oppression of the government in Delhi during the farmer’s struggle, their release and the lawsuits filed against them, to take action against the murderers of Shaheed Navreet Singh.
27. Sanjay Raut has met Rakesh Takait at Ghazipur border. Raut said that Shiv Sena stands with farmers and their movement. He said tht Shiv Sena appreciates decisions of Union leaders & will continue to support from outside because now political opposition has to put pressure as well
28. International popstar Rihanna who has 100 million social media followers asks on her social media, why are we not speaking about farmers protests? While linking in CNN.
29. BJP celebrity Twitter terrorist Kangana Ranaut responds to Rhianna stating the farmers are terrorists helping China take over India. Her response shows that the justification of fascism is so pathetic.
30. Already some BJP nutcases are tweeting that she is being paid by Khalistanis, other one said she is after Canadian citizenship. 🤣
31. Sting videos show how Bollywood celebrities and cricketers get paid by BJP for tweeting in the favour of BJP policies.
32. Brit Asia TV – Twitter crashes as the farmers thank Rihanna for raising the farmers issue globally.
33. Police at Gazipur border had barricaded the road to stop farmers from marching towards Delhi. Now it has dug 10 ft deep trench to stop farmers from taking alternative route.
34. Jasveer Singh from Sikh PA speak on BBC radio about Farmers Protest.
35. UK petition reached 97,000 signatures. Another 3000 and the issue will be scheduled for discussion in Parliament.
36. Baaz news – The @WorldSikhOrg, @sikh_coalition, @SikhRI, and @PoeticJFdn have issued a joint letter calling on major press freedom organizations to speak out regarding recent attacks on the free press in India, including arbitrary detentions and censorship.