- Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti was very knowledgeable on Sikh scriptures, Gurbani Grammer and Sikh history
- Performed seva as Head Granthi at Sri Harmandir Sahib
- Remained as Jathedar of Akal Takht Sahib from 2000 to 2008
- He was present at Sri Darbar Sahib when the Indian Army invaded it in 1984
- The Akali Dal and SGPC sidelined him after he spoke on the topic of Khalistan during a trip to New York in 2008
Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti, renowned for his scholarly research on Sri Guru Granth Sahib and other Sikh scriptures, today passed after suffering a heart attack. Giani Joginder Singh lived a quiet life over the past several years after the Akali Dal, and the SGPC sidelined him for openly speaking about the formation of a sovereign Sikh state during a New York Nagar Kirtan in 2008.
SGPC president Bibi Jagir Kaur has expressed deep sorrow at Jathedar Vedanti’s demise in a video shared online.
“Jathedar Vedanti was a great personality of the Sikh Panth; his demise has created a vacuum in the Sikh world,” she said.
Several other prominent Akali and SGPC leaders, including Sukhvir and Harsimrat Badal, shared their condolences after Jathedar Vedanti’s departure.