Cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu today demanded a fast-track court for day to day trial to ensure justice in the case of Guru Granth Sahib’s sacrilege that happened in Bargari village of Faridkot and the Police firing that killed two Sikhs peacefully demonstrating to seek justice in the case.
In a post shared on FB, Sidhu said, “We have a choice, either to accept Hon. High Court’s Judgement or appeal against it in the Hon. Supreme Court … But the problem all along has been the same – INTENT & DELIBERATE DELAY, It is not about forming another SIT but what have the SITs achieved in the past 6 years ? History has shown that Re-Investigation by the same agency compromises the case, makes the guilty wiser by allowing them a second chance to defend. Yet if the Govt decides, it should ensure fair & time bound investigation, and set up a “Fast-Track Court” for a day to day trial”.
“Armed with India’s most competent Lawyers is the only way, without delay to make the Government accountable and transparent in the public eye on this very important emotive issue, which should have been a top priority from day one or else this could lead to irreparable damage”, he added.
Through his tweets and other social media posts, Sidhu has intensified his drive to press the Captain Amarinder Singh-led Punjab government to ensure justice in the case following Punjab and Haryana High Court quashed the probe conducted by IG Kunwar Vijay Partap Singh-led SIT in Kotakapura and Behbal Kalan Police firing incidents.
Here are some tweets he shared in the last few days:
- “The Judgement does not mean that there is no evidence against Badals, it just means investigation has not provided any, Why? … It is a temporary reprieve for Badals until a fair investigation brings them to docks. Not exonerated, only on borrowed time. Let’s fight for Justice!!” (April 25)
- “How will we get Justice? If 2 years after naming Prakash & Sukhbir Badal in chargesheet no challan was filed against them nor their names added to the FIR. Why evidence indicting the two, not examined or brought before Court? Who is responsible for delaying & weakening the case?”. (April 24)
- “Is Sacrilege case not the top priority for the Home Minister ? Evading of responsibility & making only Advocate General (AG) a scapegoat means Executive Authority has No supervisory control. Who controls the AG ? Legal Team is just a pawn in this game of shifting responsibilities” (April 23)
- Carefully crafted collusive abetment leading to … हम तो डूबेंगे सनम, तुम्हें भी ले डूबेंगे I It is not a failure of the Govt or the party, but one person who is hand in glove with the culprits. (April 21)
- HC Orders, quashing of Chargesheet not in State’s domain… But FIR, Investigation & arrest of Identified Accused is within Punjab State’s Authority. Yet, 3 years after Inquiry Commission, Why real culprits- “Political Decision Makers” Sukhbir & Prakash Badal not behind bars ??? (April 18)
- Commission of Inquiry headed by HC Judge gave prima facie evidence to prove cognizable (serious) offences – Naming Accused who gave the Orders … People Demanded, Vidhan Sabha Demanded, I Demanded … Yet, FIR filed after the Report has No Names, Why ? Who sabotaged the case ? (April 17)