Behbal Kalan Tragedy: SIT files chargesheet against Sumedh Saini and Paramraj Umranangal

CHANDIGARH, Punjab—On January 15, the Special Investigation Team investigating Behbal Kalan tragedy case filed supplementary chargesheet against Ex-DGP Sumedh Saini and former IG Paramraj Umranangal in the Court of Judicial Magistrate First Class (Faridkot).

Notably, the SIT has already filed main chargesheet against the former SSP Charanjit Sharma and two SP-rank police officers. The duo notorious cops Saini and Umranangal were inducted in the FIR in September last year.  

On the basis of 22 phone calls between Sumedh Saini and Paramraj Umranangal on October 14, 2015, the SIT has said that the duo cops were part of conspiracy to open unprovoked firing on peacefully protesting Sikhs.

“Umranangal was in constant touch with Saini and after getting directions from him, he instructed SSP Charanjit Singh Sharma and others to use force on the protesters,” says the chargesheet.

It may be recalled here that two peacefully protesting Sikhs namely Krishan Bhagwan Singh and Gurjit Singh Nikke Sarawan had lost lives in the unprovoked firing opened by Punjab police cops at Behbal Kalan while several others were left injured. These peacefully protesting Sikhs were seeking justice in the case of missing holy saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.