CHANDIGARH, Punjab—The Nabha based sacrilege culprit Sehajvir “Singh”, who vandalized the holy saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji in Gurdwara Sahib village Tarkhan Majra near Fatehgarh Sahib on October 12, was produced before the Court of Duty Magistrate Varun Deep Chopra on October 13.
During his production in Court, the lawyers and Sikh sangat present on this occasion raised slogans demanding death sentence for him but the administration was observed shielding him from the outraged Sikh masses by providing him a tight security wall.
It is learned that the police sought his seven days remand but the Court sanctioned only three days remand.
It has come to fore that the District Bar Association of Fatehgarh Sahib has demanded an exemplary punishment for this sacrilege culprit while resolving not to contest his case. They have also resolved that no outsider will be permitted to represent him in the Court.
SSP Amneet Kondal has claimed of recovering a prescription slip of a Patiala based de-addiction centre from the sacrilege culprit. He has said that the sacrilege culprit was under ailment for the past one year.
“An investigation had been ordered with the assistance of the SGPC and members of the Satkar committee,” he said.
It is pertinent to note here that two FIRs have been registered against the sacrilege culprit at the Sirhind police station.
The police have invoked sections 18 (conspiracy) and 20 (member of terrorist gang) of UAPA against the sacrilege culprit besides sections 295-A (defilement of place of worship) and 504 (provocative act to break public peace) of IPC in the FIRs registered on the complaint of Gurdwara Sahib’s sewadar Manjot Singh.
Meanwhile, it is learned that the Deputy Commissioner and SSP offices of Fatehgarh Sahib also got flooded with representatives from social, religious and political organizations who submitted memorandums demanding an exemplary punishment while saying this incident coincided with the five years of the Behbal Kalan sacrilege incident.