CHANDIGARH, Punjab—As per the media reports, several high ranked cops of the Punjab police including Paramraj Umranangal were reportedly grilled by the Special Investigation Team on February 12 about Behbal Klan and Kotkapura firing incidents. It is learnt that seven senior Police cops including one ADGP, three Inspector General (IG)-rank officers and one senior IAS officer were called for questioning by the SIT that continued till late evening hours of February 12 at Chandigarh.
Names of the Police cops who were grilled by the SIT are as follow:
- ADGP Rohit Chaudhary (who was overseeing the operations at Kotkapura)
- IG Jatinder Jain (then posted in Bathinda)
- IG Paramraj Singh Umaranangal (then posted in Ludhiana, but rushed to Kotkapura)
- IG Amar Singh Chahal (then posted in Ferozepur)
- Paramjit Singh Pannu (an SP-rank officer)
- Senior IAS officer VK Meena
- Harjit Singh Sandhu (then SDM, Kotkapura)
While Meena was questioned by SIT head Prabodh Kumar, the others were grilled about the happening of that fateful day by Kunwar Vijay Pratap Singh. The sources said while Meena and Jatinder Jain were let off early, the other Inspector Generals were questioned till 8.30 pm. Sandhu and Pannu were questioned till the late evening hours.