AMRITSAR SAHIB, Punjab—A report of an unfortunate incident in the world’s largest community kitchen in Sri Harmandar Sahib has occurred. A ‘sewadar’ of Guru Ram Dass langar reportedly fell into the cauldron and was severely burnt.
An eye witness Ranjit Singh told Sikh24 that the incident occurred when the SGPC’s cook Charanjit Singh was cleaning the cauldron with hot water to prepare ‘Kheer’ (rice cooked in sweet milk) on the historic eve of 411th anniversary of Sri Akal Takht Sahib on July 2. While cleaning the cauldron with hot water, Charanjit Singh slipped into the cauldron and was scalded severely. SGPC employees present rescued him immediately. Later, he was rushed to the Hospital.
Additional Manager of Sri Darbar Sahib, Bhai Satnam Singh, said that more than 60% of Charanjit Singh’s body was scalded in the large cauldron. He added that the SGPC was making every effort to have him treated.