Traveling this Summer? Download our FlyRights app!
WASHINGTON D.C.—As the summer travel season approaches, the Sikh Coalition urges Sikh travelers to understand their rights and file complaints of TSA screening discrimination using the FlyRights phone application when necessary.
Here are the top 4 questions we get asked by Sikh travelers:
- What are my rights as a Sikh air traveler?
Check out our Sikh Air Traveler’s Guide and Bill of Rights to learn all you need to know about airport screening procedures and your rights as a Sikh air traveler.
- I believe I was subjected to screening discrimination at airport security. What do I do?
If you believe you are a victim of TSA screening discrimination:
- File a complaint directly from your smartphone by downloading and using our FlyRights app, http://fly-rights.org/
- Or contact the Sikh Coalition here. http://www.sikhcoalition.org/request-legal-assistance
- I’ve downloaded the FlyRights app, what information do I include in my complaint?
Your report of discrimination through FlyRights is a critical means of holding the TSA accountable. Therefore, we urge you to fill out the form completely and with detail.
- Make sure you fill out every box. It is extremely important!
- Describe the instance in significant detail:
Include the date; time you went through security (not just the time of your flight);
airport; terminal number; airline and flight number;
color of your turban or other religious headwear;
describe your clothes and carry-on luggage in detail.
Make sure you include everything you remember, every detail is important and it will make it easier for the TSA to identify you on security footage.
- Include the Transportation Security Officer’s (TSO) full name and badge number.
If you don’t have this information, describe the TSO in as much detail as possible
(i.e., gender, race, hair color, eye color, hair style, facial hair, approximate age, height, build).
- Please cite any conversation you had with the TSO(s) and any comments the TSO(s) made to you.
This is relevant in assessing discrimination.
- To see a sample completed FlyRights complaint, click here:
- How soon should I file a complaint?
File the complaint immediately.
- Airport security footage is continuously recording all security screenings and this video footage is only retained for a limited number of days.
- File the complaint ASAP so that TSA investigators can access the video recording of your screening and properly address your complaint.
If you have any questions about filing a FlyRights complaint or general questions about TSA screening policies, please contact the Sikh Coalition at email@example.com.