KURUKSHETRA, Haryana, India—As per a news publicized by the Sikh Channel UK, a short circuit caused a fire in a Gurdwara located in Haryana. The fire damaged seven saroop volumes of Guru Granth Sahib that were kept at the Gurdwara Sahib.
The incident reportedly took place in village Boripur, in subdivision Shahbad, of district Kurukshetra, in the state of Haryana. Sikh Channel reported that a blaze engulfed the village gurdwara, stating that seven saroops of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj were Agan Bhet (burnt). The alleged cause of the fire is being blamed on an electrical short.
Similar incidents which have taken place in past, caused an uproar within the Sikh Sangat who have blamed the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) for not ensuring the safety of Guru Granth Sahib saroops in gurdwaras. SGPC, the apex Sikh body, enjoys control of most gurdwaras in Punjab, and a number of other gurdwaras located outside as well.
Agan bhet seva of these saroops will take place on 11 May, Sunday, at Gurdwara Goindwal Sahib at 9:30 AM.